+1 Every time you post I love you a tiny bit more.
So I was asked why we are being lenient with X-Ray Bans.
The answer is simple, and not simple all at the same time. It's a paradox. Let's take a look at it.
1. The only certain way to know someone is xraying is to completely catch them in the act, and record the evidence by video.
2. Whether someone has or has not xrayed it is a very objective matter. You look at the evidence, decide ok this looks like it could have been an xraying, and you make the ban, never really knowing for certain. Yes there are some keys, like straight down pillars... but there are also other reasons that player may have known where your base is, perhaps they had a spy, or followed you from spawn, or just walked overhead and saw your nametag underground.
3. We have as good of anti-xray as there is available on the server, however this can only do so much. It is very effective against xray mods, but not as much against texture packs...
4. We've clearly stated ways to make your base less visible to people using an xray texture pack, in combination with the plugins to combat xray, you should be able to create a 'chest room' or area to hide your stuff, that is completely invisible to any form of xray.
5. When you build a lit up taj mahal 20 blocks below the surface full of melon farms and active mob spawners, all your chests out in the open..... aren't you kind of just asking to get griefed?
6. The admins as a collective, have determined that more than likely, 9 out of every 10, perhaps even 10 out of 10 of the players on YASMP have at some point, logged out, changed to an xray pack, and logged back in, to have a peek. Technically we should probably just ban everyone. Don't even say you haven't done it - I've been around long enough, I'm not stupid... and I know you HAVE.
7. When we have evidence of a pretty clear xray (ninjastyle?) when the player is well liked everyone comes out saying "oh no.. certainly not an xray, that was a legit grief".
8. Smart xrayers will never get caught... they dont do stupid pillar downs and other obvious methods.
9. Dumb xrayers are the ones we ban.. and we figure, stupid kids.. here's a 5 day ban, maybe you shouldn't do that again...
10. The 2nd time around we won't be as forgiving.
I didn't xray bro but I can see from your point of view. Will start taking screenies n stuff I guess lol.
Great explanation, and hopefully it makes people think about how they build, and where they'll make their base. Bedrock is best!
I was gonna work on an underwater city this weekend for lulz, bet that wont last long. xD
same thing pr0's doig diebre or atleast dl is.
I've had my chest room since I joined the server and it hasn't been found yet. It's so small though that I'm muted and blocked from commands when I log in though..I have to go into a hole I dug in the wall to get out of the bot check zone.
Errrr... Would probably be good to remove everything you said here about your methods for catching x-rayers. Why give everyone hints on how they can avoid getting caught? This is like the police broadcasting their speed trap locations on the local traffic radio station.